For many parents who are looking for a mattress, it will surely be easy to be tempted to choose one product that comes with a cheap price. However, it is important to take note of the fact that the best toddler mattress should be seen as an important investment, which is why you should spend for it just to be sure that it will be able to deliver superior quality.
Are you looking for a toddler mattress? Clueless on which one should be chosen? There is no need to look far. In the rest of this guide, we will provide you with insights that will allow you to make the right decision. We will have a look at five of the best options in the market, making it easier for you to end up with a well-informed choice.
Safety 1st Heavenly Dreams White Crib Mattress
Dream on Me Spring Crib and Toddler Bed Mattress
Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer Dual Firmness All Foam Crib Mattress
Simmons Kids Beauty Rest Beginnings Sleepy Whispers Ultra Deluxe Toddler Mattress
Sealy Soybean Foam-Core Crib Mattress
**Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
Best Toddler Mattress: Read This Guide Before You Buy One
Types of Toddler Mattresses
There are many options that are available, each with a different promise and set of features. Generally speaking, the following are some of the choices that can be taken into consideration:
- Foam Mattress: If you are looking for a lightweight and cheap toddler mattress, this is an option that should be on the top of your list. Take note, however, that there are different types of foam that can be used inside the mattress. They can be made up of a variety of materials, such as latex and polyurethane. However, it may not be long-lasting.
- Coil Spring Mattress: Also known as an innerspring mattress, there is a coiled spring that is integrated as a part of it. Because of this, it can be heavier compared to those that are made from foam. They are durable and supportive. However, if you choose a cheap and low-quality product, the coils can hurt and can squeak when the toddler moves.
- Pocketed Spring Mattress: This is similar to a coil spring mattress in the way that there are coils that can be found inside. However, the main difference is that these coils are not connected, but they are installed independently. It can be comfortable and durable, but most of the options command a high price.
- Memory Foam Mattress: This is made from a high-quality foam that is pressure-sensitive. When pressure is applied, the shape of the foam changes, which makes it able to provide a contoured fit. Once the baby moves away from the mattress, it gets back to its original shape. One of the drawbacks of this mattress, however, is that it can be hot, especially during the summer months.
- Natural Fiber Mattress: Many of the mattresses available in the market can be made with the use of toxic chemicals, which can harm the health of toddlers. With this, many resorts to the use of mattresses that are made with the use of natural fiber, which is also hypoallergenic. Some of the examples of these natural fibers include coconut fiber, natural latex, organic cotton, and untreated wool.
How To Choose the Best Toddler Mattress
As you evaluate the options that are available in the market, make sure to think about the things that will be mentioned below:
- Size: One of the first things that you have to do is to determine the size that you will need. Since it is meant to be used by a toddler, a small one would suffice. In the case of some cribs, they can be converted into a toddler bed when the baby grows. With this, choose a toddler bed that will be appropriate for the size of the crib.
- Firmness: The safest choice would be a firm mattress. If it is too soft, there is a possibility that the toddler will suffer from suffocation. You can press the foam and see if it bounces back.
- Ventilation: In differentiating the options that are available in the market, make sure to also take a look at the air vents. This will be an excellent feature as this will provide you with the guarantee of having sufficient ventilation, which will be critical for the comfort of your baby, especially during the summer season.
- Weight: For most parents, they prefer a crib mattress that is lighter in terms of weight. This means that it will be effortless for them to have it lifted when they need to change the sheets or have it transferred in a different place.
- Cover: It is also important to ensure the high-quality of the cover. It will be good if it is flame-retardant, which can provide you with peace of mind. It should also be waterproof and stain-proof, which will make it easy to have it maintained even through the years. You must be able to have it cleaned in a manner that is as effortless as possible.
- Microbial Resistance: For the health of the toddler, make sure to choose a mattress that comes with antimicrobial properties. This means that it will be able to prevent the growth of bacteria. This also lessens the possibility that the mattress will lead to allergies and other health risks for the user.
- Feedbacks: If you are still finding it hard to determine the best choice in the market, it would be best to consult with what other people have to say. Reading online reviews will let you learn from the insights and experiences that have been shared by other people. This will also make it easier for you to weigh the pros and cons of the possibilities that you will be confronted with.
Top Picks for the Best Toddler Mattress
In this section, we will identify some of the highly-recommended toddler mattresses. We’ll have a look at some of their features. To make it easier for you to evaluate these mattresses, we will also have a brief look at a few of their pros and cons.
1. Safety 1st Heavenly Dreams White Crib Mattress
This mattress comes with high-density thermo-bonded core. This is reflective of the use of an innovative technology, providing you with the guarantee that it will be long-lasting, and most importantly, it will be able to provide the support that is needed by toddlers in the absence of compromising comfort.
When talking about safety, you can also be confident in choosing this product above other alternatives in the market. It is certified to be flame-retardant. Most importantly, it is also free from phthalates and other toxic chemicals that can harm the health of toddlers.
The water-resistant cover is also worth noting. This will make it easy for you to have it cleaned. Additionally, you can also be sure that it is going to be easy to clean.
Lastly, it has seven years of limited warranty from the manufacturer, which can provide you with the guarantee of your satisfaction. At any point within the warranty coverage, if the mattress shows visible signs of defects, just inform the manufacturer.
- Affordable price
- Can produce noise
- Not dual sided
2. Dream on Me Spring Crib and Toddler Bed Mattress
This mattress is 5-inch thick, which is just more than enough to make sure of its ability to provide the comfort and support for the toddler who will be using such. It weighs only 10 pounds, which is good news for parents since changing the sheets will definitely be an easy task.
The protective foam wrap, which is integrated on both sides, is also a good thing. This helps in making sure that the mattress will be long-lasting. To add, it also comes with foam insulating layer, which will provide better ability to manage temperature. It is also hypoallergenic.
It can also be an impressive choice when talking about safety. One feature that makes this possible is the Fire Blocker layer, which, as the name implies, will provide you with the assurance that there will be no risk of fire.
Need another good reason to be convinced that this is an excellent choice? It comes with ten years of limited warranty from the manufacturer. This is one thing that is surely hard to rival by anyone else.
- Affordable price
- Can resist mold and mildew
- Cleaning is effortless
- Cover has poor quality
- Can be too soft for some
3. Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer Dual Firmness All Foam Crib Mattress
This is another option that should be looked at. Among others, one of the things that we specifically loved about this model the extra-firm high-density foam that is integrated inside. It is also CertiPUR. Nonetheless, there are some toddlers who can possibly complain that the firmness is too much for their preferences.
The durable nylon cover is also a good thing. This may be thinner than most of the covers, but it is a good thing as this will not make the mattress hot. This will help to encourage better air circulation. The cover can also be cleaned in a snap.
To provide you with peace of mind, the manufacturer has carefully chosen the materials, making sure that they will exhibit superior quality. They are hypoallergenic and they are also flame-retardant.
Lastly, the mattress is also double-stitched. This increases the likelihood that it will be able to withstand tough use. This is unlike in the case of other models wherein the seams can be easily broken.
- Dual sided
- Comes with a waterproof cover
- Can be too firm for some
- Has a foul odor during first few days
4. Simmons Kids Beauty Rest Beginnings Sleepy Whispers Ultra Deluxe Toddler Mattress
If you want to be confident about making the right choice, you should consider this model. It has passed stringent tests and quality control. Aside from the CertiPUR certification, it is also worth noting that it has Green Guard Gold Certification.
It is equipped with 231 pocketed coil springs. This is able to provide the ample support that is needed by toddlers. In fact, because it is supportive, if only it was larger, it can be used even by adults.
The natural cotton wrap that is used in this toddler mattress is also impressive. It is not only able to resist bacterial growth, but it is also flame-retardant. There is also a medical-grade barrier for waterproofing. The mere fact that it is stain-resistant also makes it exceptional, making sure that cleaning it will be a lot easier on your end.
- No chemical smell
- Stays firm throughout use
- Made from non-toxic materials
- Innerspring can be noisy
5. Sealy Soybean Foam-Core Crib Mattress
This is another favorite within the product category. One of the most common positive feedbacks with this toddler mattress deals with the materials that are used, providing it with a distinct edge above many others within the competitive landscape. It is made with the use of soybean, which is natural and renewable.
Ease of cleaning is one good reason why you may want to have it chosen above other alternatives that are currently available in the market. The cover is waterproof. You can also be sure that stain would not seep deep in the mattress. Simply wiping it with a damp and clean cloth will be more than enough to maintain its superior quality.
The strategically-placed airflow pocket is also an exceptional feature. This will provide better air circulation, and hence, be keeping the toddler comfortable even during a hot day.
Lastly, there are more than 60 inspection points that are scrutinized before the mattress is approved. The company has more than a century of experience in the business. All of these are good reasons why this mattress does not only meet, but even exceeds global standards.
- Delivers uniform firmness
- No plastic odor
- Can make noise
- Edges are prone to compression
In sum, your search for the best toddler mattress will indeed not be an easy feat. There are many brands available in the market, each making aggressive claims that they are better than all others. As an intelligent buyer, making a decision in haste is one thing that you should never do. With this, make sure to think about the things we have earlier mentioned. Take a look at the products that we have reviewed, and for sure, you will be making a decision that won’t bring regrets in any way.