Breastfeeding is best for babies until six months. This is recommended by The American Academy of Pediatrics, as well as other popular health organizations all over the world. With this, it is essential for moms to invest in electric breast pumps. If you have no idea on which one to choose, keep on reading and we will help you make the right choice. We will provide short electric breast pump reviews to assist you in the assessment of the options that are available in the market. Our goal is to help you make the right decision.
**Below, you'll see more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices and read customer's reviews on Amazon.
Benefits of Electric Breast Pumps
When looking for a breast pump, you will generally be confronted with two choices. The first one is the traditional manual breast pump, which, as the name implies, will be operated manually and by hand. They can be cheaper, but they are also going to be such a hassle to use. With this, a better alternative is an electric breast pump, which can deliver the following benefits, among others:
- Less Effort is Required: This is probably the best thing about the use of an electric breast pump. You do not have to exert too much effort, yet you can be assured that it will be effective in acquiring the milk that is needed from your breast.
- Operates Fast: Because they are electric, speed is another benefit that you can enjoy. You do not need to wait for a long time.
- Comes with Variable Settings: Especially in the case of higher-end models, you will be able to enjoy flexibility as you can choose the specific pumping setting depending on your personal preferences.
- Provides High Level of Comfort: Many nursing moms often dread breast pumps because they can be painful. With the electric models, on the others hand, this should not be a problem.
- Can be Hired: There are electric breast pumps that can be hired, such as from healthcare institutions. They are hospital-grade, and hence, you can be assured that they will be able to deliver superior functionality.
Choosing the Best Electric Breast Pump
The following are some of the things that will help you to come up with the right decision.
- Feedbacks: One of the first things that you should do is to read electric breast pump reviews. You will learn a lot through the experiences of moms who have actually used the breast pumps that they are reviewing. Pay attention to what they are saying about the yield of the pump, and most importantly, how comfortable it is.
- Speed: The best electric breast pump is not necessarily the one that will be able to get milk out of your breast in the quickest manner that is possible. Rather, it is one that can provide you with multiple speed settings, making it possible to use the one that you are most comfortable with.
- Portability: Many of the electric breast pumps can be heavy and bulky, and hence, it is inconvenient to bring them with you, especially when you are traveling. However, there are also newer models that are lighter. They are perfect for moms on-the-go. This means that you will be able to easily pump milk wherever you are.
- Batteries: This is another feature that can be helpful for those who often travel or those who are frequently on the road. If there is no electric outlet, will you be able to use the breast pump? Yes, but only if you choose the ones that can be powered by a battery. It will also be good if it comes with an adapter, which will make it possible to have it charged in the cigarette lighter outlet in your car.
- Double Pumping: There are some options that are available in double pumps. This means that you will be able to pump both breasts simultaneously. This will help you to gather more milk and to speed up the process. Most of these models will allow you to be finished pumping in just about 10 to 15 minutes.
Tips In Using Electric Breast Pumps
It is not enough that you are aware of how to choose the right breast pump. It will also be good if you know how it can be used properly. Here are some of the things that you should keep in mind:
- Establish a Routine: Breast pumping should be considered as a regular practice. It would be best to set a schedule on when this can be done.
- Massage the Breast Before Pumping: This can be considered as some sort of a warm up, lessening the possibility that you will experience pain after pumping.
- Be Relaxed: When it is time to pump, find a place that is quiet and private. Do not be anxious. Just relax. Learn the use of breathing techniques so that you will be more comfortable. Listening to soothing music can also be helpful.
- Use an Emollient: This is recommended for moms who often experience scarring or bruising in their nipples after pumping.
- Lower the Suction Setting: Some women choose the highest suction setting when pumping to speed up the process. This, however, can be painful. Start with the lowest setting and increase it only once you are already feeling more comfortable.
Top Picks for the Best Electric Breast Pumps
In this part, we will have a glimpse at some of the best options that you can find in the product category, as well as the features that will make them excellent compared to many of their inferior counterparts.
If budget is not an issue, this is one option that should be included in your list of choices. This comes complete with all that will be needed in pumping breastmilk, even a carrying bag to keep all of the attachments organized.
The 2-Phase Expression technology is one feature that gives it an edge above many others within the competitive landscape. With this technology, your breast will undergo stimulation and expression phase, which will mimic the way babies suck milk. This is going to result in deeper pumping and higher yield.
It is also a good thing that it can be battery-operated. You will need to use 8 AA batteries. While they are not included, they can be purchased at a cheap price. Because they have batteries, you can have it conveniently used even outside of the home or even when there is no electric socket.
It is also worth noting that all parts, even those that are made from plastic, are BPA-free. This makes sure that the quality of the milk will not be altered and it won’t be toxic for the baby.
- Stylish carrying bag
- Convenient and easy to use
- Comes with a complete package
- Can condensate
Brand name in itself is more than enough reason for you to have it considered other alternatives. It features a wide array of technologies and comes in a complete set. A carrying bag is even included.
Among others, one feature that deserves to be highlighted is the design of the breast pump. The angled neck, for instance, will help you to sit down naturally and you will not complain of discomfort. This is also made possible by the soft cushion. This will not only be good for comfort but will also mimic the mouth of your child.
When it comes to versatility, you will also find this product to be an excellent choice. There are three operating modes, making it easy for you to choose one that you prefer.
The intuitive assembly is also another highlight of the product, which means that you can expect that it will be user-friendly. The assembly of the unit will be effortless. Matching the different parts can be accomplished in a snap.
- Made by a trusted brands
- Comes as a double pump
- Gently stimulates the breast
- Can be loud
- Expensive price
One of the best things that you can expect from this model will be its two modes – stimulation and expression. This is the one that is responsible for allowing it to produce more milk within a shorter span of time, and more importantly, without causing too much pain.
The customization that it can offer is another thing that gives it an edge above others. The user will be able to choose from three different pumping styles. The suction speed can also be set in eight different speeds. You will be in complete control with the use of this electric breast pump.
The closed-system design is one more feature that should be highlighted. This simply means that the number of moving parts is less. This will make cleaning a snap and will lessen the likelihood that it can be contaminated because of bacterial growth.
The lighted digital display also makes it user-friendly. This will make it easy for you to monitor the functionality of the unit. This will make it easy to know the progress of your pumping.
- Lightweight design
- Easy to clean
- Reasonable price
- Produces an annoying noise
- Replacement parts are hard to find
If you are looking for portable options for the best electric breast pump, you might want to take this into consideration. It is a good thing that it is lightweight and even comes with its own bag, making it easy to bring with you wherever you will be heading.
Concerned about the safety of your baby? There is no need to be worried. The manufacturer guarantees that all of the parts are made without any toxic components. All plastics are also BPA-free and food-grade.
It also features an adjustable speed and suction, which means that it will be excellent when it comes to versatility. Because of this, you can have its settings customized depending on what you personally find to be most comfortable.
It is also a good thing that it comes with milk storage guidelines. This is one thing that will be appreciated by first-time moms or those who have no idea on the proper handling of milk.
- Comes with a battery pack
- Has double suction
- Easy to operate
- Expensive price
- Can be uncomfortable
Simplicity is one of the reasons why we have included this in the list of our top picks in the marketplace. The features are not as elaborate as the options that we have earlier discussed. This is also highly recommended for those who are budget-conscious but unwilling to compromise quality in any way.
The hands-free operation of this breast pump is also a reason why it has been well-received by many. As the name implies, you can have the freedom to use your hands in any other way as you do not need to hold the suction cups while it extracts milk from your breast. The suction cups can be easily fitted inside your normal bra.
There are also milk cups that are included, with each having a capacity of 8 ounces.
To ensure the quality of the milk, there is an included filter. Nonetheless, as the manufacturer recommends, you have to make sure that the filter is changed once or twice in a month to optimize the quality of milk.
- Affordable price
- Basic setup
- Can be operated hands-free
- Minimal milk yields
- Take quite a while to use
By now, we hope that it is a lot easier for you to make the right decision. Again, if there is one thing that we would want to emphasize, it would be the fact that price alone will not be enough consideration in the evaluation of the possibilities. Always find time to go through electric breast pump reviews. You can learn a lot from the experiences of other nursing moms, and consequently, it will be easier for you to see how one option can be better than the other. The most important thing is to take your time. Do your research and scrutinize each possible option.